Friday, November 24, 2023

Gratitude a day part 4


Touching 

11/19/23

What touch are you most grateful for?

There are so many types of touches and so many people who are starving for contact. The Covid era and social media haven’t helped ease the loneliness that many of us feel even when surrounded by other people. But I’m not sure I can choose just one to be most grateful for. The first touch between a mother and a child, the last touch on a hand clashed with a dying lived one. A firm hug that neither wants to break off before departing home. A delighted hug when surprised by someone who has been missed. The cool touch in a fevered brow, the comfort of the furry head of a beloved pet nuzzling against you when you are sad. There are so many loved ones, so many remembered moments and each was a precious gift. Wiping a tear, kissing and holding on. I’m grateful for those I have touched and been touched by. 






Who

11-20-23
Who are you thankful for having in your life? 
Yes.
I’m thankful for everyone who has been in my life. The great ones, the unnoticed and even the Glenn Harris years. 
Looking back so many have added joy, some have added strength and courage, resilience and determination but if they’ve been in my life, there has usually been something worth having that I gained by knowing them. 
Of course I have been amazingly blessed in my family, and my extended family and my chosen family. I’ve also been harassed by some fairly strong enemies, which at the time I thought I’d rather do without, but it’s taught me to love myself when others only see someone worth hating.





11-21-23 
What song are you most grateful for?
Impossible Question. 
Because throughout my seasons of life I have always loved music and songs have been there through all my highs and lows, but not just one song. There are a few certain songs though that seem to follow and haunt me all through my life. As early as I can remember my parents played records and the radio and such tv shows as Hee Haw and the Lawrence Welk Show. My Dad sang while he drove and they were often sings with a story and an unfortunate tendency to be stereotypical Indian stories like “Running Bear” and “Kowliga” and “Son, don’t go near the Indians”
Mom danced in the kitchen while doing the dishes. The Twist and my breakfast went together. Then the man I fell for, needed a ride to practice in the evenings for Godspell, and so I answered the ad asking for someone to carpool with. The chemistry major soon realized his energy was recharged by drama and music and became the Mr. Goode most of you know, music teacher extraordinaire.
When I started teaching preschool and had my two boys I fell in love with the music of Bev Bos, Raffi, and Kenny Loggins, and had a blast doing Baby Beluga endlessly.
But one sing, maybe the first song I loved that I didn’t learn from my parents, that I still find myself singing as I drive is the sad, but beautiful and wise, song by Terry Jacks, “Seasons in the sun”

“We had joy, we had fun
We had seasons in the sun
But the stars we could reach
We’re just starfish on the beach 

All our lives we had fun
We had seasons in the sun
But the hills that we climbed
 were just seasons out of time

And the wine and the song
Like the seasons
Have all gone”

11/22/23
What story are you most grateful for?
This list already asked what was your favorite book. I guess there is some difference. But my favorite story. Maybe a story I wrote or a movie I saw or a puppet story I tell little kids at Halloween. But the first one I became totally obsessed with was the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I really wanted to meet Aslan and live in the castle on a sea cliff and eat Fruit grown in fertile earth from toffee.  My fifth Grade teacher, Ed Schnackenburg read it to us each day after lunch. I’d put my head down on the desk and see the scenes more vividly than most movies. In fact. Rereading it as an adult I was shocked at how short the books are, how brief the descriptions are to be able to create such vivid images. He was a master at referring to tiny details which evoked entire emotions and scenery.




11/23/23 what Tradition are you grateful for?
For me it is the Christmas tree. That light in the darkness, that gathering focal point for family and friends. That reminder of the past abd hope for the future. That intruder which won’t fit and takes effort and requires a cleaning and decluttering of living spaces. I never want to put it up and then I hang on longer than is acceptable. I love not only mine, not only traditional but seeing others through windows. Seeing ones made of books or crab pots or tires or old laundry. I love having friends invite me around theirs and having them around mine in all my messiness. I love sitting with the chatter of board games being played while I quietly address Christmas cards.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment