Monday, July 1, 2013

My Brother is so Up about his Down's Syndrome

Once I was 12 years old and my Mom had a baby and my world changed. Prior to his birth we had never even heard of the children, called "mongoloid" at that time in our lives, so we thought his "condition" was a "tragedy" which would make his life painfully difficult. We already loved him enough to not be thinking about how it would change us, and we'd never have imagined the joy it has brought.

I wrote about Lance earlier in a post here


 Now three years have gone by since I saw my brother, one of the things about living 1300 miles away and being one of the many who live paycheck to paycheck.  And things have changed in his life.  As Mom gets older, and members of out family have moved away from Cody, Wyoming, it had become just her and Lance there.


 So my other brother built them an apartment on his house on the opposite coast from me, and Lance had to quit the Walmart job he has had for 19 years.  And finally I am going to see them in about a week and a half.  I'm excited and nervous to see how far they now live from me and how my Mother's health has changed as she just celebrated another birthday yesterday.










So wish me a safe journey and a happy family reunion and I will let you know how things are with my family later.

No comments:

Post a Comment