Sunday, August 18, 2013

Too Many Books and mugs of coffee with cookies


Too many summer days have slipped past, and I have taken my coffee and a good book and curled up at home, sipping, enjoying and gaining weight. I either am reading or at best writing one of my own books, but I get lazy and forget that where I live is a paradise begging to be explored.


So yesterday my husband and I took our swimsuits and our sunblock and went to the Smith River, to a spot where the gorgeous and amazing Stout Grove is connected by a seasonal footbridge, in the river only from Memorial Day to Labor Day.  We read on the sand, swam in the river, I drew on the rocks with my sharpies and we strolled among the towering redwoods.



I don't feel quite the same here. It was more noise and fun when my boys were small and we brought them along, but my husband is a big child and capable of being both noisy and fun.  And it was still great.



I worked hard all winter and lost 40 pounds.  This summer I gained 14 just taking it slow and indulgent and I find myself really not feeling good because of it.




















I have to remember that the rains will return, and winter cold and the rivers will rise and get flooded and dangerous and I will be working.  I do believe there are never too many books, 
but
maybe there are too many days wrapped up in them


2 comments:

  1. wow!!! all the picture are very beautiful. I love to visit once.


    Regards,
    Kopi Luwak

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I know I am lucky to live someplace so beautiful, but I always have been. I lived at Yellowstone, and in the Custer State Park in the Black Hills, in Beijing, and in Ashland, Oregon. There is beauty everywhere.

    ReplyDelete