Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Running for Tuna & Harbor Repair


Back in March of 2011, I had two boys at home, in High School, when school was cancelled due to the earthquake and the knowledge that once again, a tsunami was heading toward Crescent City.

That Tsunami hit Japan a lot more harshly than it hit Crescent City, CA but it was no friend to the fishing fleet and the commercial harbor here.

That morning my oldest son, woke me to tell me, "Mom. the schools are closed today because we will probably get a tsunami.  I'm going fishing."
and his brother,
one year younger, decided it was a day to be spent sleeping.
They have never made the same choices, but I love them both so much that becoming a Mom, twice in 12 months, was like a tsunami to the heart, that wiped out everything I had once considered important and rebuilt in its place a whole new world.

Now my fisherman son has done two season's fishing on a commercial boat, one tuna and one crab season, and as the next tuna season has just gotten up and running, he is happy to be back on the Barbara Marie again


But the Crescent City Harbor is one gigantic construction zone at this point, replacing the docks and dredging, and repairing and trying to become able to withstand the next Tsunami, and there always will be a next tsunami here.

This blog has previous posts about tsunamis in Crescent City





2 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I'm curious if you'd be willing to help out a fellow writer...I'm writing a vaguely sci-fi novel, and the first act takes place in a fictional California city very similar to Crescent City. I'm doing research on the fishing industry and tsunamis, and would love to get personal insight. Is there a contact email on here that I'm missing? Anyway, let me know if you're interested in answering a couple questions. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dixiedoodle44@charter.net
    Love to help if I can
    Thanks for reading this

    ReplyDelete